Sunday, June 26, 2011

Little things do matter...

I have always wanted to wear heels, but I am pretty tall already and I am not very comfortable in them, so I don't wear them often! ...BUT I still went ahead and bought these incredibly gorgeous, comfortable and feminine lace heels that are specially designed for big,wide feet like mine, online! ...


When I got the shoes, I jumped up with excitement and joy, like a 10-year old! I was relating to S about something that happened when I was about the same age...and I decided to relate it here as well...


When I was a little girl, and am a girl's girl, I couldn't wait to wear duppattas, have long nails, wear heels, lipstick....I was in awe of my cousin U, a very pretty cousin, maybe at least a decade older than me....and she would have these lovely long nails with pretty nail polishes and would wear these really glamorous big heels. I remember eagerly waiting to get my nails painted, when I visited her and never folding my hands, thinking the color would fade away! :P. I would bug Amma for a dash of lipstick when we would go for weddings and simply refuse to eat, fearing it would wear off....my poor mother!!

Once, she had got rid of her heels - white stilettos, and I brought it along home, just for the heck of it. It was at least 5 times bigger than my feet...but I would walk around in them, dreaming of owning my own pair someday! :) I also had a suitcase full of shells collected over a period of time from all our beach trips...and this was all my "treasure" I would never part with, (so don't mess with me or I'll make you go crazy with my whining and crying kinda treasure!)

We moved houses, actually a major milestone for us coz we were moving from our rented apartment to a lovely apartment in Besant nagar, near the beach...and it was going to be our own home! I remember I was so thrilled looking at the new chandelier(...I thought they were real diamonds and we were super rich now!) at our new home and I also remember asking Amma "Inga daily thanni varumaa? (Will we get water here everyday?)"....coz we used to live in an area where there was a lot of water scarcity and Appa and Amma had to work hard to collect water. Anyway, I digress.

My parents had shifted to our new home and left us kids with our cousins while they unpacked and settled down. Of course, the minute I landed, I looked for my "treasure" box and to my utter horror, my dad threw away all my "trash", including my cousin's stilettos that I had safely stashed away. I was completely heartbroken and I had a mental image running in my head, of pouncing on my Dad for doing this to me! Oh, but I simply did what I did best - cried, cried and cried like there was no tomorrow...I was very very upset with him for throwing away my most treasured possessions.

Today, and I say this with utmost honesty, I feel good, very good - to know my "treasure" is safe and its beautiful and its not borrowed, its my own! ...safe in my home! It may be a little thing, but it goes deeper...:)


P.S - Edited to add a picture after I wore them in real life, finally! :)



...they look super hot, don't they? :D

P.S - This definitely does not mean that my parents were inconsiderate, I have the most wonderful folks, but it is just a recollection of my state of mind THEN! ....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...